“Brilliant! Dining tips are spot-on for the best, local eating” – Luke Nguyen
Hungry? Good. Buckle up. You re in for one heckuva flavorous ride. Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam’s booming commercial hub, is an undisputed street food capital and, as such, it’s practically one big, heaving eating opportunity. Zingy with herbs, salty with the smack of fish sauce, brimming with the goodness of vibrant produce and enlivened with notes of coconut, spice, smoke, lime and chilli, food here has crunch and flavour in spades. The only thing better than filing up on HCMC’s seductive fare? Washing it down with local coffee, poured over ice and sweetened with gobs of sticky-sweet condensed milk.
To tackle all this, you need a dining primer. Let Ho Chi Minh City In 12 Dishes show you what to eat, as well as where to eat, in this most tantalising of destinations. Profiling the city’s defining dishes and best food experiences, Ho Chi Minh City In 12 Dishes will appeal to travellers who want to cut straight to the chase, gastronomically speaking. And isn’t that everyone?
Pho, bánh mì, bánh xèo, chè and barbecue are among the essential 12 dishes showcased, although this nifty book goes way beyond these. You’ll find info on HCMC’s other soup noodles, advice on what to eat in frantic Cholon, where to get a stellar coffee and how to identify the myriad fresh herbs that are so freely strewn about. Addresses are in Vietnamese for ease of travel, and everything is sumptuously photographed, so you know exactly what you re aiming for. Designed to provide a starting point and bolster confidence, Ho Chi Minh City In 12 Dishes will have you eating like a local, in no time at all.
This book also features…
– 12 must-eat dishes, including descriptions, helpful information and restaurant listings
– Personal dining recommendations from celebrity chef Luke Nguyen
– Where to shop for fabulous gifts for your food-loving pals
– A guide to the best bars
– The low-down on HCMC s cafe scene
– An i.d. of fresh herbs used in HCMC cooking
– A look at Cholon s temples and unique dishes
– The best markets to visit in, or near, District 1
– Historical attractions to visit, between bites
And so much more…
Inside Ho Chi Minh City In 12 Dishes…
– Easy to navigate, with full colour photographs throughout
– A handy map indicating major landmarks and restaurant locations
– Useful features, such as addresses in local language
– Pocketable, affordable and with user-friendly content
– 12 must-eat dishes covered in depth, providing a starting point for further exploration of the local cuisine
– Restaurants for all budgets, with an emphasis on affordable options
– Listings that put you in the thick of local dining, HCMC-style
About the Authors
Red Pork Press is a small, dynamic publishing company founded by Antony Suvalko and Leanne Kitchen. Based in New Zealand and Australia, Red Pork Press brings together years of food-travel publishing experience and a passion for world cuisines. A particular interest in Asia saw the pair write The Real Food of China and East, Culinary Adventures in Southeast Asia, both illustrated recipe collections. From making content for international airlines to feature writing for international magazines, the pair bring their formidable talents and insights to the In 12 Dishes series.