“There’s nowhere like Singapore for great food; this book takes you right to it” – Violet Oon
Ladies and gentlemen, poise your forks for Singapore. And clutch those chopsticks too. Oh and put your girth on notice; you ll need stretchy pants. Yes, it s got malls, sights, culture, history, iconic hotels, nature, killer bars, luxe spas, friendly natives and efficient trains, all bundled in a neat, compact package. In fact, Singapore may well be the perfect destination. But please, let s get real. With every day here a frenzied feed-your-face-a-thon; you actually come to eat. There s fare across the schmancy gamut, from any cuisine you d care to mention, with famous international chefs leading the charge. If that s your gig, knock yourself out- but for our money, we go strictly local. Humble canteens and hawker centres,- that s where the real dining action is. From feisty Malay, soothing Chinese and opulent Nyonya to fiery Indian, Singapore In 12 Dishes unlocks this most dazzling of culinary destinations.
A guide book like no other, the emphasis is on food. It s for travellers who want to hit the ground dining, without any mucking around.
Laksa, nasi lemak, roti prata, bak kut teh and prawn soup noodles are among the essential, 12 dishes showcased, although this book goes way beyond these. All the places we list give you starting points from which to make your own, delicious discoveries. You ll find info on Singapore s bars, the low down on Little India and Kampong Glam, which hawker centres to bee line to and where to find delicious coffee and cake in the heritage-listed precinct of Tiong Bahru.
This book features…
– 12 must-eat local dishes, with photos, descriptions, helpful information and restaurant listings
– Singapore s top spots for Peranakan cuisine
– Where to shop for fabulous gifts for your food-loving pals
– A guide to bars
– The best dining in Little India and Kampong Glam
– Hawker centres – the what, how and where to eat
Inside Singapore In 12 Dishes…
– Easy to navigate, with full colour photographs throughout
– A handy map indicating major landmarks and restaurant locations
– Pocketable, affordable and with user-friendly content
– Restaurants for all budgets, with an emphasis on affordable options
– Listings that put you in the thick of local dining, Singapore-style
About the Authors
Red Pork Press is a small, dynamic publishing company founded by Antony Suvalko and Leanne Kitchen. Based in New Zealand and Australia, Red Pork Press brings together years of food-travel publishing experience and a passion for world cuisines. A particular interest in Asia saw the pair write The Real Food of China and East, Culinary Adventures in Southeast Asia, both illustrated recipe collections. From making content for international airlines to feature writing for international magazines, the pair bring their formidable talents and insights to the In 12 Dishes series.